Saturday, June 19, 2010

Look What Came Monday!


I was down to about 1/4 teaspoon of loose yeast. I did have a couple packet strips of yeast, but their "best by" date was sometime in 2008. I keep them for measuring reference and because I can't stand to waste anything. I'll probably try to use them sometime when I'm not in a hurry. Maybe I'll use them when I can let my dough rise overnight.

A while back, a friend asked me to post about how I buy my yeast. That was a couple months ago, sorry!

Yeast at the grocery store is expensive! A three packet strip is a "good" price at about a dollar a strip. Each strip has 0.75 ounces. That is about $21.34 for a pound of yeast on sale! A four ounce jar of yeast costs between $5.00 and $7.00+. That works out to $20.00 to $28.00 dollars or more for one pound of yeast. I'm not going to pay that much!

There was a time when I did buy the jars for just under $5.00 a jar, but then I discovered King Arthur Flour, www dot kingarthurflour dot com/shop/yeast-baking/yeast . A one pound package of yeast is as low as $12.45 shipped! A two pound package is even better at $16.45 shipped! This time, I bought two 2lb. packages (one is for a sister-in-law) and paid $27.90 to have it shipped to my house. That is four pounds of yeast for about the same price at one pound at the store.

I will fill my old yeast jars, store them in my refrigerator and put the rest of the yeast in my freezer until my jars are empty. Two pounds of yeast will last me quite a while, but when this order runs out, I may just order four or more pounds for myself. That would save me on shipping costs in the long run.

************************************************************************************

Update: I was at the GFS (Gordon Food Supply) store the other day and found yeast hidden behind a hanging display in the baking aisle. It cost about the same or less than the yeast at the KAF site, before shipping costs were added on! Needless to say, I'll be checking GFS the next time I'm in need of yeast!

4 comments:

Tam said...

Fred wants to know why you don't just proof your yeast and keep a starter going continually in your fridge so you don't have to buy more all the time...

(e.g. #3 here http://www.ehow.com/how_5998352_store-bread-yeast.html ) you can even start it from raisins or red cabbage if you don't wanna start with packet yeast :)

Brandi said...

Tammy, tell Fred he is jumping the gun! I was going to write about that in a future post. I do make and use a starter from time to time. A starter becomes rather sour after a while. The kids and I can handle the sour for a while, but Jon isn't impressed. So, when the starter starts to get strong, I tend to just use it up.

beth said...

Hi, Brandi! Your link isn't working for me...where do you buy the yeast? thx!

Brandi said...

Beth, thanks for letting me know. King Arthur Flour's online store is where I get my yeast. I tried to fix it in the post, but it's acting weird. I tried the link when I first posted it and it worked. I'll take a look at the html when I get a chance.

Here is the link:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/yeast-baking/yeast