Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The memories didn't get thrown away.

When I was about nine years old, my grandmother took me with her to visit an elderly friend. Her friend thought I was cute or something. She gave this pretty little dish/container. It was a delicate piece similar to pottery or china. It stood on three small curved "legs" and had a three dimensional violet on its lid. The lid must have been dropped before, because the violet had been glued back on. When I was young, I kept the dish in the box that my grandmother's friend had placed it in for safe keeping. Anytime I wanted to admire it's beauty or remember the visit I would take it out of the box. I was always very careful to replace it. I didn't want to break it.

After I got married, I pulled the dish out of its box and set it out for everyone to see. After my grandmother died, the dish became even more special to me.

For approximately twenty-three years I have kept that little dish safe. I'm a little sad to say that the little dish now resides in the trash. Baby Bear (who was in desperate need of his nap) knocked the dish off the buffet it was on and the bowl part of the dish broke. The lid also went into the trash. After all, what good is a lid without it's dish?

Poor little Baby Bear went right down for his nap after that. I think he was too upset about breaking the dish to argue.

I gave Baby Bear a big smile and asked him if he had a good nap when he woke up. He grinned and said he did. Nothing more was said about the dish.

I will no longer glance at that pretty little dish and remember my visit with Grandma. However, I can still visit the memory from time to time. No one can take that from me.

No comments: