Monday, November 19, 2007

Getting six children out the door in less than fifteen minutes . . . ?

It's doable!

So, here's the story:

Sunday afternoon is normally a time for naps in my house. Today was no exception. DH had to leave for work before the Bengals game was over. After he left I read from LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS by Laura Ingalls Wilder to the children during the commercial breaks. I turned off the T.V. and finished the chapter we were on when the game ended. I then declared mandatory nap time. (Yes, there were a few groans.) We were all snuggled up under sleeping bags and quilts. We fell asleep while it was still light out. I woke up with a start when it was dark out. I glanced at the clock, saw that it was 5:45 pm and jumped up calling to everyone to wake up. Evening church 6:00 pm and it takes us about fifteen minutes to get there. I was able to get everyone up ready and out the door in under fifteen minutes. As we were driving past the downtown churches, the bells tolled the 6 o'clock hour. We were late, but we made it to church. I had enough adrenaline in my system to wake me up and get us there safely.

1 comment:

Rick said...

My mother, a pastor's wife, had six kids to get ready for church (both AM & PM). Dad was always at the church early - so, not much help from him. I always wonder how she did it - but somehow she did and we were always there on time.

http://www.organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/